Monday, September 14, 2009

They're dying

Patrick Swayze died today at age 57. So did Jody Powell who had been one of the key men behind Jimmy Carter's rise to the presidency in 1976. He was 65. They were, in a sense, my contemporaries. I read a story last week about Mitzi Gaynor. There's a name I haven't heard in decades. She was the star of Rodgers & Hammerstein's movie musical South Pacific (which I've never seen) and is returning to Kauai in October to take part in the Garden Isle's celebration of the film's 50th anniversary.

I mention these few names to remind myself about a story I've been planning to write about people dying. Sometimes it will be people that I thought had died long ago. There's Doris Day, 87, long out of the limelight who has changed her name to Clara Kappelhoff and turned her back on Hollywood to live a reclusive lifestyle in rural California.

This has got me thinking more seriously about writing this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers